Friday, December 15, 2006

Wiitarded

Headline: Nintendo Recalling 3.2 Million Wii Remote Wrist Straps

TOKYO — Nintendo said Friday it will replace 3.2 million straps for its popular Wii computer game controllers after receiving a rash of reports that the devices flew out of the hands of overzealous players.

How many reports does it take to decide on a recall? I wouldn't waste my money on that if I were Nintendo, unless there were at least 10 deaths caused by this flying, projectile-like controller. Soon, they'll be required to replace broken TV sets as well.

Some people just need to exercise a little self control. I'll bet alcohol was involved, if not in the incidents, then surely in the development of this device.

Why else would they have named it, Wii, other than describing what most of the scientists gleefully screamed as it soared across the lab for the first time?

I did find out through various sources - sources meaning my own imagination - that the original name for this contraption was the awwwshitttt, but they figured that would probably have a negative affect on sales. At least, there would have been more truth in advertising.

Somewhere in the back of their heads, though, they must've known how prophetic that name would be, as in, "wii are in a lot of trouble." But I guess memory loss is a common symptom of a massive head injury.

6 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I was interested in this when I saw it advertised, and now I've read the headlines and your blog I'm getting the impression it's a cheap piece of crap.

Maybe "Wii" is the noise the kids make when the strap breaks and the unit goes flying through the window

2:13 PM, December 16, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

yes, Ben, exactly! But don't be too hasty with your gift selection...nothing says "christmas" like clocking a relative in the head. Remember, it's not a party until the ambulance arrives! :)

4:37 AM, December 17, 2006  
Blogger Will said...

hahaha

1:00 AM, December 18, 2006  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

I saw footage of this on YouTube. Some office lounge had the Wii set up, and the guy was playing tennis. His hands got slippery and the control flew out of his hands and smashed against the wall.

It was so damn funny.

3:15 PM, December 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no worries Ben there dont seem to be any about these days anyway they are flying off the shelves! Its what my kids wanted for the holidays... oh well! (lucky for me!)

I got to test one and it really is pretty cool! I can hardly wait to hear the law suits that come from the defective straps though... broken windows and TV's head injuries... black eyes and bruises... dented walls and furniture... I bet there will be some dooseys!

3:29 PM, December 18, 2006  
Blogger X. Dell said...

The headline on this story in the Winnipeg Sun said, "Wii in Trouble." I'm wondering if the product will wind up in the dustbin of video game history--along with Intellivision.

But you know what? It sounds good to me. Maybe I'll splurge on one after graduation.

You know, back in the day, people used to associate the phrase "Made in Japan" with things that were cheaply made, breakable. Perhaps we, o the Japanese, have come a long way since people were so surprised that their controllers broke.

4:11 PM, December 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home