Monday, November 20, 2006

Rock of Ages

Last Friday night a few of us went to see Journey/Def Leppard at the New Orleans Arena.

I grew up listening to both but I'd never had the chance to see either one in concert. Not having Steve Perry lead Journey had me a little worried that it wouldn't be as good, but lemme tell ya, Jeff Scott Soto did a terrific job.

They blew the roof off of that place! It was unbelievable.

I've been to concerts where the crowd sings along for the beginning of songs or sings the chorus or whatever but with this one, I could actually hear the crowd singing more loudly than the band for at least 4 songs in a row.

Jeff could've easily just sat down and held the microphone out because we pretty much drowned him out anyway. It was GREAT.

Def Leppard sounded good, too, but seemed to play too many songs from Hysteria for my liking, or slower ones. Although when they did do older ones, only a handful of people even knew what they were playing.

Like I said, they were good, but it just seemed like something was off a little or maybe it was just because they had a tough act to follow.

I couldn't possibly recount all of the songs either of them did and I certainly can't give a technical review of their performance, but one cool thing both of them did was that they displayed old photos of themselves on the big screens in the background during a couple of their songs - a sort of flashback, if you will.

That sentiment was exactly what was going on in my own head when those tunes stirred up the old memories.

Once again, I was an obsessive 13 year old practically electricuting herself with an 8-track player that had faulty wiring, repeatedly listening to Wheels in the Sky or Lights.

When they played Anyway You Want It, Rodney Dangerfield flashed across my mind immediately, as he irritated the hell out of Ted Knight with his stereo-equipped golf bag.

No school field trips from 9th through 11th grades were complete without Journey blaring out of portable boomboxes. Not to mention, the old flames that went from Stone in Love to Separate Ways more quickly than you could say, "cheese."

When Def Leppard played Photograph and Foolin', again, I was that 16 year old staying up way too late to watch Night Trax in hopes of seeing the video one more time. I was that wide-eyed rocker, Catholic-school-chick who couldn't wait to peel the cellophane off of the Pyromania album once I got it home.

So many things crossed my mind that night it was hard to keep track of it all. Needless to say, I really enjoyed the show. I'm also happy to say, even in their old age, both are still very talented groups.

After all of this time, I'm glad I finally got the chance to see them live. Because, I would imagine, seeing them dead would've been a real bummer.

10 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

I am glad to see Jeff Scott Soto get this chance. Because he has spent the last twenty years doing any project that came his way and doing a good job of it. He has also built up a reputation as a good live performer over the years.

7:42 AM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Well, I guess persistence paid off - the guy was fantastic!! I hope he stays with them a while. They made a good match.

11:25 AM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

Still too sick to be intelligent, but I'm glad you're back. Love ya, my friend.

1:22 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger mindy said...

night trax!! wow!! loved that show!
and journey.. classic!!
one of my favorites is "i'll be alright without you"... love that song.
:)

3:19 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger JohnB said...

I did see Def Leppard back in 1988 (Hysteria tour) in the round back when they had Steve Clark…they did put on a great show back then as well. I think I’m more like you, Pyromania and High and Dry were definitely their high points…
I totally hear you on that Catholic school thing!

3:30 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one here old enough to remember "Caddyshack" allusions.

4:46 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Enemy - thanks, and get better!

Mindy - I can't think of a song I don't like, pretty much. One of my top favs they didn't play - Hopelessly in Love. But they hit all of the others.

John - that must've been fun to see them in their prime, but yes, to me Hysteria was a little sappy.

X.Dell: I'm glad, too! you and I are classics - just like that movie. Favorite line: "last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" :)

4:37 AM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I'd just put a comment at Mark's joint about my telling people in Baltimore that they should show up for Journey to see Soto after they all said they weren't going to bother showing for Journey....lamewads

10:12 PM, November 22, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Ray - those guys are really missing out. I know it may sound as though I'm exaggerating, but I'll tell you - I forgot all about Steve Perry two seconds into Stone in Love and that was their first song. Soto is awesome and so energetic. Slap them for me. ;)

5:30 AM, November 23, 2006  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Wow..you got to hear Def?? I heard Enrique..but that was it...nothin beats hearin your fave singers go live tho..gives you the goosebumps! Great one tho..expressed my sentiments as i would had i written!

9:59 PM, December 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home