Saturday, November 19, 2005

Tell It Like It Is

Headline: "Deferred Success" is new term for failure?

When I joined the Air Force they had changed the name of the obstacle course to confidence course instead, thinking this would adjust our mental focus on the task at hand. Did that change the fact that I was made to crawl beneath barbed wire without getting caught and gashing myself or successfully shimmy across a rope dangling over water without falling in? Not one bit. I don't care if they would've called it The Cake Walk, it would've still sucked. People need to realize it doesn't matter what you call things - they are what they are.

My favorite in the list was misguided criminals, I'd hate to see what would happen if they actually had instruction. Delusional. The second one that amazed me was thought shower. I'd hate to attend that meeting - at least without my umbrella. This all just cements the notion of the pussification of man.

I just wish people weren't so reality challenged.

2 Comments:

Blogger JohnB said...

Carlin had a skit that talked about this speciousness: shell shock becomes battle fatigue becomes post-traumatic stress disorder: each fallacy-euphemism with little extra syllables for the ultra-sensitive ear.

8:50 AM, November 19, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I think I remember that. such a silly thing to do.

8:02 AM, November 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home