Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Shameless Plug

Headline: 2006 Ig Nobels Reward Research in Hiccups, Poop, and Bad Writing

After various other attempts, Fesmire resorted to sticking his finger where the sun don't shine. Applying a slow circular motion stopped the hiccups within seconds.
Now, wait a minute here. I’ve heard of many home remedies for curing hiccups, but never in my life have I heard of, nor have I tried, this one.

Although, if you think about it for a second, it does combine 2 of the more popular methods: taking a deep breath and being surprised.

Be that as it may, does he presume you’ll actually use this method the next time you have a bad case of the hiccups?

Say you’re at a business luncheon and the ailment hits you. What do you do? Excuse yourself while you plug one right up there or do you ask the person sitting next to you for a little assistance? Something tells me your boss won’t be impressed by your newfound cure.

What if you go to happy hour with your work buddies and one of them starts up at the bar, are you just supposed to tell him to drop his pants, and more importantly, does that mean the next round is on him? Talk about your happy hour!

Say there’s an elderly person who suddenly gets hit with the gut-wrenching spasms. If you opt to help that person out, I seriously doubt you’ll be getting any citations for heroism from the local fire department.

What has my curiosity is how this fellow came to this conclusion in the first place? Who would think of that? I realize testing is necessary to come up with reasonable solutions to problems, but again, who would think of that?

I can only hope this technique doesn’t become as popular as the Heimlich maneuver and I certainly hope there won’t be any classes given at the YMCA - but I won’t hold my breath.

10 Comments:

Blogger JohnB said...

That is one twisted placebo effect!

8:43 AM, October 18, 2006  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

They do it at the YMCA, but it's not a formal class.

2:46 PM, October 18, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

John - will you be a part of the case study?

Phoenix - I just laughed out loud - really loud! :) No wonder it was a favorite place of the village people.

3:07 PM, October 18, 2006  
Blogger Will said...

"Excuse yourself while you plug one right up there or do you ask the person sitting next to you for a little assistance? Something tells me your boss won’t be impressed by your newfound cure."

Especially if you go to shake his hand, or ask him to help.

No wonder bosses never get hiccups. They've always got someone working for them who can't resist sticking their tongue up his ass.

Elton John would love this news story OMW.

6:08 AM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Oh, Elton has known about this for quite some time, Ben, just notice the subtle hints in songs like:

Someone Saved My Life Tonight
Rocket Man
Tiny Dancer
Circle of Life

Where do you think he got, "get back, honky cat" from? :)

6:32 AM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger mindy said...

i wonder what else he tried before coming up with that! gross!

7:16 AM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Mindy - according to the article, there was tongue-pulling and gagging going on before he decided to go south. HA. I feel like such a 4th grader for laughing so much at this! - sorry - I could never be a scientist.

7:21 AM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger JohnB said...

Hell no!

8:11 PM, October 19, 2006  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I'd be curious to know what led these researchers to imagine that there might be a connection between inserting fingers and curing hiccups.

10:39 PM, October 20, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Ben - I'm glad you appreciate my humor! :)

5:40 AM, October 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home