Friday, September 15, 2006

Mama's Got a Squeeze Box

Headline: The Family That Squeezes Together...

From polkas to waltzes and standards, Kahkonen taught all his children to play the accordion. And they enjoyed it, Joyce recalls -- so much so that they would all don accordions for a group photo.
What a noisy household that must've been! I would also think there was a lot of drinking going on as well. How else could anyone stand polkas so much?

However, the advice he gave his daughter was priceless, "Honey, remember one thing: If you can't play good, play loud."

The accordion may not be my favorite instrument, in fact, I'd rather polka my eyes out than listen to it but I have to admire him for that statement alone.

That's exactly my motto for singing! Although, some would say, a band of drunken accordion players sound a lot better than I do.

7 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

If you can;'t play good, play loud -- the motto of punk as well as most of modern, post-grunge rock!

-- david

9:41 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark barkk

the art school companion:

if you cant paint well, paint large.

if you cant paint large, paint red.

/howl

9:59 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Ben - absolutely, where's the stage? But, I tell no lies, I am no singer, believe me!

David - ain't that the truth?!

K9 - thanks for the tip. I'll stick to walls and barns, unless there are numbers involved. :)

10:07 AM, September 15, 2006  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

Polka is the one type of music that just doesn't work for me. But it is huge in Chicago, believe it or not. People love to polka dance.

I wonder if Ben is right.

5:55 PM, September 16, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Enemy - that is surprising! When I think of Chicago I think of old blues...maybe the polka dancing was the reason for the blues in the first place? ha. (and no, Ben was not right about that one, I can assure you.) :)

6:29 PM, September 16, 2006  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

OMG, brilliant! From The Who to Frankie Yankovic! Dude!

7:20 PM, September 20, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

it's a gift - I really should think about returning... :)

11:05 AM, September 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home