Monday, August 28, 2006

This Has Been a Filmways Presentation

Headline: Switch off TV and switch on your memory
CANBERRA (Reuters) - Turning off the television, picking up a crossword and eating more fish could be the key to a better memory, an Australian survey has found.
They may have a point but I'm still not completely convinced that turning off the TV will help with mental retention.

Growing up, watching things like Schoolhouse Rock helped me tremendously when it came to memorization.

If there ever comes a time when someone needs to recite the preamble or be taught how to use pronouns, then I'm your girl.

Before I watched that program, I was going around calling everyone I knew Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla when I could've simply used the word he instead. Television can't be all bad, except maybe for Rufus.

No doubt there will be an occasion when someone will request to hear the theme song from Gilligan's Island or the Beverly Hillbillies. And when they do, look no further than right here because I know all of the words, without the use of a karaoke machine.

In fact, I can even recall the name of Ellie Mae's fancy Hollywood boyfriend. For those of you who may not have taken their shoes off and set a spell with the Clampetts at any point in life, his name was Dash Riprock - not to be confused with anything pertaining to the Flintstones.

Initially, after reading this article, there were several things that came to mind to discount their notions, but for some reason those thoughts have escaped me.

I'm sure it'll all come back to me later, though, as soon as I figure out why I walked into the living room.

9 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

It always beats me how they figure eating fish helps.

I mean most of the fish we eat live on a diet of other fish. And yet most scientists will tell you that the memory of a fish is miniscule.

Anyway, I've forgotten what the subject was now. Oh yeah, well done on remembering all the trivia from the TV. You never know, you may need it one day.

4:51 AM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Ben, the way fish is usually prepared in Louisiana, all you'd end up remembering is that your waistline is expanding. :)

Yes, so far, the trivia only seems to come in handy when playing board games. :)

5:01 AM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger mindy said...

i love tv, and that doesn't make me stupid.
if i hear one more person call tv an idiot box.. i'll just.. wait, what was i saying???

11:08 AM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger mindy said...

oh, by the way.. i loved school house rock!! knowledge is power!!

11:12 AM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

I'll take more Omega Fish Oil tablets as I watch my DVDs of House. I like stupidity.

3:45 PM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Mindy, Schoolhouse Rock, well, um Rocked! I know no other place to get my adverbs.

Enemy, it must be doing the trick because you're anything but stupid. Love Dr. House.

4:46 PM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

and if I eat a whole shark and solved a crossword every hour I would remember all that happened in past lives ?

7:59 PM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger PupSquadFoster said...

Fish huh? Maybe it helps retain memorization because you always smell like fish and no one wants to be around you, freeing you up to do more mind-blowing crossword puzzles

9:09 PM, August 29, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

SJ: that's hilarious. yes, you would, and you'd remember everyone else's past as well!

Freshwater: first, thanks for stopping by. And yes, you've made a point I didn't even consider - because nobody wants to hang out with the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

5:24 AM, August 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home