Friday, May 12, 2006

For Brevity's Sake!

Usually, I don't have a problem abbreviating words. What I do have a problem with is trying to understand why some people find it necessary to abbreviate the word of. It's two letters!?

Should I blame it on pure laziness or is there some type of medical benefit to only saying O instead?

Would using minimal facial muscles make you less prone to developing TMJ? Or perhaps chapstick would be rendered practically useless if your bottom lip no longer vibrated against your teeth?

What's the big difference? Axl Rose made the word "mine" last about 45 minutes but he couldn't take the time to say of? That makes no sense whatsoever.

If it's so much faster and easier, then why aren't there group listings in the yellow pages for Doctors o' Psychiatry? Do you think Hillary had Member O' Congress printed on her business cards?

Does anyone have an explanation for this? If so, I'd love to know why - it would really give me peace o' mind.

2 Comments:

Blogger JohnB said...

Don't say ain't 'cause ain't ain't a word!

Was there ever a "Schoolhouse Rock" episode on contractions? I must be thinking of Conjunction Junction, eh?

11:16 AM, May 13, 2006  
Blogger Rocky said...

The only time I think the o' abbreviation is OK is when using the phrase o'plenty. Then I'm cool with it. Otherwise I don't understand why the F needs to be cut.

4:19 PM, May 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home