Saturday, April 29, 2006

Your Ass is Grass

One of the items on my to-do list yesterday was cut the grass. My dog, Louis, was in the backyard, so I went out to get him to put him in his cage while I did that chore. And so the chase began.

Once he saw me he thought it was time to play. He went back and forth and ran circles around me while I stood there calling to him. Considering I didn’t have much time to play, I started to go after him but something I noticed made me stop dead in my tracks: a snake. (insert Jaws theme here)

After I was able to fit my eyeballs back into their sockets, I wondered how was I going to get Louis’ attention without causing harm to him or me. Not knowing if snakes are able to hear or if they only react to movement, I stood like a statue and began whispering, “Louieeeee, come here boy.” That didn’t work. Either snakes can hear or that snake’s name happened to be Louis, as well, because it began to slither in my direction.

Quickly executing an about face that led into an all-out run, I headed to the house. Continuously shouting at Louis - as if I were Chief Brody who just spotted the fin going under an inflatable raft - to Get Out of the Yard! Finally, he came to me and I quickly shut the sliding door.

Although we were safe for the moment, there was still a snake in the yard and I had to figure out what to do. I decided to look up the breed of snake on the Internet and discovered it was only a garter. But it was bigger than your average, garden-variety garter snake and even though it wasn’t poisonous, I was still a little concerned. I hate snakes. I hate snakes, frogs, lizards, or anything of the scaly brand.

On a side note, why is it called a garter snake? Did Wilma or Betty use these creatures to hold up their stockings or something?

Anyway, I then did what any sensible housewife would do. I called my husband at work.

Me: “Honey, there’s a snake in the yard.”
Him: “What kind?”
Me: “Garter.”
Him: “Oh, it’s harmless, it eats rodents, leave it alone. It won’t hurt you.”
Me: click.

(That coming from a guy who stopped, dropped, and rolled at the close-up visit from a honeybee...but that's another story.)

The grass still needed to be cut and the sky was getting cloudier by the second. I then took a deep breath and decided to behave like a normal human being and continue with my chores.

My plan was to mow the lawn in an up and down pattern as to always keep it at my side and hopefully flush it out - preferably into the neighbor’s yard. As I walked behind the mower, I kept the grass under a scrutiny that would’ve made a homicide detective proud; about midway across the grass I saw it again.

As panic started to set in, it suddenly dawned on me that I had the upper hand. I had a weapon at my disposal. I had a self-propelled Troy-Bilt!

I braced myself, and by that I mean, grimaced, cursed and danced around until I finally had the nerve to do what I had to do - push that mower right over him.

Smile, you son-of-a -- THWACK!!! (more screams) SPLAT!! (more cursing) Blood shot out. EEEWWW. It was a thick feeling mixed with a grotesque sound as it impersonated a lemon-twist around the machine. I was yelling, dancing, and doing Olympic gymnast moves on the handle to avoid anything that might have survived the blades of death.

Trying to regain composure, I continued to mow as if everything were normal. Coming back up the path, I saw some remnants and decided to pass over it one more time for good measure. Mulched - completely disintegrated.

Shortly after I finished I sat on the patio with a glass of wine and Louis at my side, satisfied with the knowledge that I made my yard safe once again - all without having to pay Quint 10,000 dollars to do it.

Next on the list: dinner menu.

7 Comments:

Blogger StringMan said...

Remind me not to lounge in your grass on lawn-mowing day! Yikes. We'll have to put you on the trail of Osama.

Wasn't it also Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Arc who fell into that hell-hole filled with snakes and said "I hate snakes!"? He'd have appreciated your move.

8:05 AM, April 29, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

yes, "snakes...why did it have to be snakes?!" :)

as long as you don't look anything like the picture attached to this story - you should be okay lounging in the yard, can't say the same for Osama though. Maybe the Pentegon should incorporate lawnmowers into the weapons inventory. :)

9:28 AM, April 29, 2006  
Blogger David Amulet said...

There is a reason why we are on top of the food chain, the master of the planet.

It's because we have lawnmowers ... and the will to use them as mass killing machines. Well done.

-- david

7:30 PM, April 29, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

David - we should do commercials for Sears or John Deere.


Fatty - be thankful! considering you're famous for crocs, I don't think a lawnmower would help you - you'd need to break out the heavy duty hedge trimmers for that job. :)

4:12 AM, April 30, 2006  
Blogger JohnB said...

My dad once was surprised by a diamondback, who stuck its head out of the hedge while he was "hedging"...I'm sure you can figure out what happened next...suffice to say it made for a very happy buzzard.

8:25 AM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Glad to know I'm not the only snake killer in the world. :)

8:52 AM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger flea said...

this is hilarious! i must say i had a similar experience except it was a frog and i didn't know it was there until i heard the SPLAT and blood was flying everywhere's......poor little bastard

12:37 PM, May 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home