Friday, February 03, 2006

And That's The Way It Is

Is it that children and adults actually have a few things in common or is that as adults, we have merely perfected what we once knew? When most people become adults, they have a tendency to believe they no longer behave like children - I beg to differ.

When I was little I loved the sensation I felt while spinning around, arms held outward, as fast as I could until I was too dizzy to stand. The living room floor began to wave and roll like the inside of a funhouse, except without the creepy carnie-guys lurking nearby.

Sure, it was all fun and games, until my chin met the floor with an impact nearly as great as the splash down of Apollo 11 in the Pacific - except without the in-depth coverage by Walter Cronkite, who - interestingly enough - started his career as a carnival worker. Or was it for CBS News?

The only difference in adults is that instead of spinning their entire bodies around, they need only spin their index finger to get the funhouse effect. That is if they do so in a glass of bourbon, poured over ice, and proceed to drink heavily. The results may vary, although you never have to leave your chair - or Earth - to get the desired outcome.

Most children play games of hopscotch or chase each other around the block or Simon Says. Adults entertain themselves pretty much the same way, except they drink scotch, get chased by cops, and perform whatever the police officer tells them to do during a field sobriety test. Oops, Simon didn’t say that! Sorry, Buddy; you’re going to jail.

Sometimes kids skip rope or engage in a game of hide and seek. Adults cleverly combine the two when they decide to skip work and then hide from their employer. Unless they are very careful, though, they’ll be forced to seek employment elsewhere.

So you see, adults are actually just very large children. Things aren’t so different as when you were a child. To consider this concept would certainly be, “one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”

But only if you say Mother, May I first.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rocky said...

Enjoyed your kid post. It is fascinating how many comparisons can come up. Well done.

Last night, I asked my wife to play "Spin the Bottle" and later "Doctor." Yes, I am just a big kid, too ;-)

2:23 AM, February 04, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Thank you. I'm sure your wife appreciates your suggestions! Big kids are the coolest people in the world. :)

4:04 AM, February 04, 2006  
Blogger StringMan said...

That's a very good point: I actually treasure that 'kid' still inside me, and I hope I'll always remain as playful as I was at 6 years old. My wife, I'm sure, can vouch for how childish I can be sometimes - in a good way, I hope.

9:36 PM, February 04, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I hope so too - there's a big difference between being childish and childlike. :)

4:39 AM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger JohnB said...

I'm still the imp I used to be, and I will never change for anything, not 'til I'm dust-of course there are certain persons I would love to haunt the same way...

10:13 AM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I'm sure you haunt people now without even knowing it. :)

10:43 AM, February 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home