Tuesday, November 08, 2005

I'm Walking Here!

Headline: Wife killed by cab after botched stickup

Rosa Roman, 51, was walking to a deli for cigarettes when the cab hit a parked car, pushing the vehicle into her. She was pronounced dead at Bronx-Lebanon Hospital.

Juarez jumped from the car and tried to run from the robber, who made off with $260, the cabbie's wallet and a ring. "The robber grabbed him by the tie and beat him up. But the cab driver had already hit my wife," said Roman's husband, Edwin Hernandez, 42, who said his wife managed to open her eyes and laugh before dying.

Okay, so wait, let me get this straight. Was she walking to the deli or did she catch a cab?

I don't think I've ever seen a cabbie wearing a tie. I'll bet that fashion statement ceases to exist after this story. I feel sorry for the driver. I mean, how bad is your night when a) you're a cab driver in the Bronx, b) you get held up, c) the robber holds you by your tie and beats your ass, and d) bystanders make sure you stay put so they can kick your ass, too. No wonder she died laughing!

Damn those cigarettes - they'll get you one way or another.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

I thought only professional wrestlers got grabbed by the tie and beat up.

8:58 AM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

well, I guess wrestle-mania has infected regular guys too. Nobody is safe. :-)

9:11 AM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

True, but I'm not too sure I would categorize cabbies as "regular."

9:52 AM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

it was the robber, not the cabbie, that did the tie-grabbing move...but you have a point anyway.

10:07 AM, November 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually a bit impressed that other people jumped in when they thought the cabbie was trying to flee the accident. Sucks that they were wrong, but it's still sort of cool.

12:39 PM, November 08, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

yeah, either that or they jumped on the opportunity for a dog-pile.

4:43 PM, November 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home