Sunday, November 06, 2005

Fire and Ice

Headline: Big Meteor Shower Puts on Show in Alaska

ANCHORAGE, Alaska Nov 6, 2005 — Alisha Klingenmeyer of Anchorage recalled spotting an orange-red fireball streaking across the sky as she drove north at about 8 p.m. Thursday. Paul Vos was watching a movie with his wife and son at their home in Hope at about 8:30 p.m. the same night when all three saw an arc of light over the mountains in the southern sky.

"It had a real long tail, kind of a silvery white, and from a real perspective it was about the size of a large softball or basketball or soccer ball," Vos said.

This had to occur all because of two guys on an ice-fishing trip. You see, their drill just happened to break and one yelled out, "God! All we wanted to do was catch a few lousy fish here!?!" Hence, the streaking balls of fire that crashed down beside them and suddenly made ice-fishing a helluva lot easier. Now, that's what I call fishing!

According to the second account it looked like a large softball or basketball. Huh? There's a huge difference between a softball and a basketball, so which is it?

There's no such thing as a large softball, unless he's talking about those cabbage balls, which I cannot stand. Ever try to hit one of those things full force? At best, I could only produce a bunt and the shockwaves that coursed up my arms was not worth the trouble. However, the possibility of snapping the bat in two was encouraging. Although, it's a pretty safe bet there wouldn't be any inspirational background music, no spectacular sparks flying out of smashed field lights, and the only crowd that would go wild are all the friends you were playing with until you broke the only bat available.

I'll guess I'll leave the flying sparks up to Mother Nature or Roy Hobbs.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

I would have compared a golf ball to one of those large spheres used in American Gladiators' "Stratosphere"

9:30 PM, November 06, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

tell it to the guy in Alaska.

I don't remember much about American Gladiator - in fact, the "Stratosphere" to me is a hotel in Vegas...sorry.

4:36 AM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Stratosphere involved climbing into a large metal sphere-cage and basically rolling around bumping people.

American Gladiators was that cheesy show where normal people would have to compete against roid-raging guys in different obstacles/events

8:52 AM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I remember now - I have selective memory loss - didn't watch the show that much. Although your definition sounds a lot like a mosh pit except w/out the cage.

8:58 AM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Except that everyone gets their own sphere-gage and they ram those into each other...

Actually, if you google "american gladiators" and click on images, stratosphere will be the third image on the top row.

9:32 AM, November 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have nothing to add to this discussion except to say that 15 years ago, American Gladiators came to New Orleans on a road show, and I won tickets from the local radio station.

I have seen the Stratosphere with my my own two eyes, and never again have I been the same. I also got a t-shirt.

11:11 AM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

ITJ - thanks for clarification - you learn something new, against your will, everyday. I get it now.

ANON - wow - that's a major award...you should display it proudly. :-)

11:56 AM, November 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home