Monday, August 07, 2006

Airborne Granny

Headline: Poor weather grounds parachuting grandmother

Mary Armstrong, 90, from East Molesey, near Woking, Surrey, was due to parachute jump at Headcorn airfield in Kent. The great grandmother-of-nine, who took her first jump at the age of 87, hopes driving rain will clear to enable the leap to go ahead tomorrow instead.

C-130 rolling down the strip. Old grandma's gonna take a little trip. Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door. When she jumps outside she's gonna yell..."Oh no, my teeeeeeeth!!"

My glass is raised to that woman. I don't think I would ever, purposely, do such a thing - especially not at a place called Headcorn airfield.

Images of hitting head-first into a cornfield just doesn't appeal to me at all. But, shucks, you never know, ask me again when I'm 90.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jay Noel said...

You know what though, at 90 - I'm sure death is the last thing any one of us is afraid of. What the hell...jump out of a plane, do a bungee jump. What's the worst that can happen? Death? Ha!

3:27 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

You have a point! however, with bungee jumping I just picture all kinds of bones breaking at the rebound point. ouch.

you have no worries though - you're the Phoenix!

3:47 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger JohnB said...

You would totally do it...c'mon!

7:25 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

There's like 60 years left for me to try...that's inspiring and scary.

8:54 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger Will said...

Good for her ! My only worry would be standing on the ground while she's coming down to earth. You know the problems old people have.

Golden showers

11:46 PM, August 07, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

John: if I had to choose I'd jump out of a plane before I'd bungee jump, but I don't foresee me doing either one anytime soon.

SJ: I have 50 - I doubt I'll live that long anyway, so I'm not worried too much. :)

Ben: not to mention medical equipment: walkers, hospital beds, etc. :) To ease your worry, I'm sure Depends are in place and can also be used as a secondary chute as well.

4:30 AM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Tthat is awesome. I heard of the elder George Bush skydiving at his age and thought it was great. This is even better--good for her!

-- david

5:34 AM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I would've hated to be a part of the secret service detail for that one! good lord.

6:57 AM, August 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home