Thursday, June 15, 2006

It's A Great Place to Start

While watching television the other day, one of those Go Army recruiting commercials came on. The one about the heartwarming moment between a father and son, sitting at the bar, sharing a sort of welcome-home-from-bootcamp drink.

The rugged dad tells his son he noticed something he had never done before: he shook his hand and looked him square in the eye – at the same time. And then he asked him who taught him that. A sly grin was the only answer from the son and then the Army logo flashed onto the screen.

It's a great commercial, however, I would venture to guess if they would've had a few more beers, the rest of that conversation would've gone something like this.

Along with the sly grin, the son answered, “the Army.”

Dad stood up and said, “Oh, you think you’re tough now mother f*ck*r that you’re in the Army? My sh*t wasn’t good enough for you? Well, let me tell you something you little bastard, I can still kick your ass!”

Son yells, "I should've never come back to this shithole! Can't you, for once in your life, be proud of me you stupid, old son-of-a-bitch!?"

Dad says, "I hope your Uncle Sam takes care of your ass, cause I ain't going to anymore!"

Son stands up,throws his dufflebag over his shoulder, and heads out the door - never to return again.


I'm thinking I should've been a recruiter. If there were commercials out there that showed this type of thing, I'm sure there would be lines of people at the recruiting station even as I type.

Guys who just couldn't measure up to their older brother, the football hero. Girls who had their reputations ruined on prom night by that jerk and couldn't live it down.

Girls and guys alike who just hated that small town with a passion - hated it enough to do the unthinkable. The blasphemous. Rebellious enough to take their life into their own hands. And in the words of Bill Murray, they were all stupid enough to enlist in the United States Army.

But that's exactly the kind of people I would want to have by my side. Not because they're losers, but because they've got nothing to lose.

And that's the fact, Jack.

9 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

I think that is a GREAT ad. It really gets at something that too few ads (and jobs?) do -- pride and confidence.

Yours has a good angle to it, too, though. Run it by the Army, see what they say ...

-- david

6:50 AM, June 16, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Thanks. In retrospect, I suppose the people I wrote about don't really need ads to persuade them to leave stuff like that behind. I'm sure the Army guys would laugh about it though and then politely say no. :)

I think the Army's ads have been *very* good lately...especially this one.

7:33 AM, June 16, 2006  
Blogger JohnB said...

I am just too jaded to make any worthwhile comment! ;)

7:54 AM, June 16, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

well, if you're that jaded, maybe you should just raise your right hand and repeat after me... "I, John, do solemnly swear to uphold and defend..."

:)

7:57 AM, June 16, 2006  
Blogger JohnB said...

Perhaps you are right...I am a pretty good shot until the target is past 100 yds!

8:22 AM, June 16, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

so you won't go to sniper school..so what! ;)

If I can hit a target at 1100 mts, then so can you. I also got to light a cigarette off of that same barrel afterward, where else can you do something cool like that and get paid for it?

8:33 AM, June 16, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice take on the ads..."sweet" ads always awaken my inner cynic.

8:50 PM, June 18, 2006  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

People need to learn that the Army can help those that come from dysfunctional families.

10:09 AM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

yes, the Army or military in general, can help anyone who wants them to - of all walks of life - not just trailer, but Beverly Hills as well.

10:44 AM, June 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home