Thursday, March 23, 2006

Always the Last Place You Look

Headline: Finding Happiness in a Harvard Classroom

Psychology 1504, or "Positive Psychology," has become the most popular course on campus.
Allow me to share the professor's 6 Tips for Happiness...

1. Give yourself permission to be human.
Considering none of us really had a choice in the matter, I don't see why permission would be necessary. Instead, I would like to request permission to be a Vampire.

2. Happiness lies at the intersection between pleasure and meaning.
Somehow, I always thought it was the intersection of Hollywood and Vine or, in my case, Bourbon and Toulouse. Lots of people there meaning to find pleasure.

3. Keep in mind that happiness is mostly dependent on our state of mind, not on our status or the state of our bank account.
Only prominent, rich people say things like that. But there is some truth in it, so, on occasion I alter my state of mind through the magic of adult beverages.

4. Simplify!
Isn't that the Marine motto? Clearly, this man has never been to boot camp.

5. Remember the mind-body connection.
Wasn't Gene Hackman in that? I'm not sure I agree with this concept, considering most who have lost their connection appear to be quite happy - they may drool a lot, but they're happy.

6. Express gratitude, whenever possible.
I am very grateful for having had this opportunity to ruin this good man's ideas.

So, there you have it - happiness in six easy steps. None of which include anything recorded by Bobby McFerrin, which makes me thrilled beyond comprehension.

2 Comments:

Blogger StringMan said...

hahaha ... good ones! I liked number 5 -- yes Gene Hackman starred in the Mind-Body Connection.

By the way, what name do you go by: OnMyWatch, Watch, On, OnMy ... Timepiece? Just curious, for when I refer to you in my comments.

2:05 PM, March 27, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

whatever you want to call me - most use Watcher or OnMyWatch - just don't call me late for dinner. :)

2:20 PM, March 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home