Saturday, December 10, 2005

Writing a Wrong

Headline: Vengeful Teen Rigs Exploding Pens
A teenager admitted rigging pens that exploded and injured three people at two high schools because he wanted revenge after being expelled, a detective said.
Somebody really needed to explain the pen is mightier than the sword thing to this kid.

I have had the misfortune of handling an exploding pen once or twice in my lifetime. I didn't get injured but my white shirt went into code blue within seconds.

Back in high school when I got upset about something, which was most of the time, my revenge tactics were a bit different - but more effective - than the angry expressions of teenagers today.

Depending on the severity of the situation, there were several methods used to successfully lower my anxiety without ever having to resort to exploding pens or violence of any kind.

Problems were better resolved by bitching on the phone until I calmed down (or until my Mom told me to hang up). On a more severe level, hours spent in solitary pouting worked - without the threats of permanent facial disfigurement or tripping over my lip if I poked it out too far ever having been manifested. If things were really troublesome, blaring Van Halen until my bad thoughts were drowned out seemed to do the trick - explosive guitars were a much better alternative to exploding pens any day.

Kids today should know about this stuff. Maybe I'll write a letter and enlighten him, but just to be on the safe side I think I'll use a pencil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home