Friday, December 02, 2005

Let the Games Begin

Headline: Competition freaks
We know it when we see it. The squash champion father who introduces his 12-year-old son to the game by beating him 15 to 0, three games in a row. The ruthless queen bee who dominates her social group with cattiness and designer everything. The out-of-control soccer mom berating the referee from the sidelines; the husband banned from playing family board games because he ruins the game when he wins — and ruins the entire evening when he loses.
Okay, I have to tread lightly here - some members of my family read this and I can't start crap so close to Christmas: the season of board games. I have a large family so we always have enough people to play and by play, I mean, you'd better have your gladiator uniform ready.

A typical night would start out cordial enough, but then inevitably the voices rose and the tempers flared until everyone retreated to their corners and stewed over who was cheating - how could they possibly know that trivial pursuit answer?!

As an example of the zeal expressed by some of my family members, last year was the first time since 1992 that my sister and I were allowed to be pictionary partners again - we were banned due to total domination of every game. I've actually brought games over still in the wrapping to prove I had not memorized any of the cards ahead of time.

Admittedly, I am a recovering hypercompetitve person - I get my 10 year chip this month. With age comes wisdom and finally I realized there's much more to life than arguing over who won the last round of Cranium - there's wine to be had, for God's sake! And drawing while intoxicated is fun for the whole family - at least it is for me.

Milton Bradley should really consider that angle - ages 18 and up, of course.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be Careful old aged one! The ghosts from X-mas past may come on Christmas Eve and help your lowly nieces and nephews who don't have the advantage of age and enable them to WIN as they so deserve.

7:45 AM, December 02, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

gee, I wonder who this could be?

as long as the wine flows freely everything is alright. :)

7:48 AM, December 02, 2005  
Blogger JohnB said...

That sounds like a challenge to me...by the way, is the drinking age in Louisiana still 18!?

7:50 AM, December 02, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

no it's not the drinking age anymore, but rules don't apply within the household...at least not our household. :)

that was one of my nieces giving me hell... :)

8:41 AM, December 02, 2005  
Blogger JohnB said...

Yes, within the walls of my family, one could partake in ages around 6-years of age, however not counting the Jack Daniels applied to gums while during infant teething.

9:55 AM, December 02, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

so true. :)

10:18 AM, December 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home