Thursday, March 22, 2007

Shirley, You Can't Be Serious

Headline: Airline Moves Dead Body to 1st Class

The economy section of the flight was full, and the cabin crew needed to move the woman and her grieving family out of that compartment to give them some privacy, the airline said.
Ladies and Gentlemen, the Captain has turned on the WTF light.

Imagine the conversation between flight attendants once the news was out.

#1: "We have to get this woman to a morgue as soon as possible!"
#2: "A morgue, what is it?"
#1: "It's a big building where they bring dead people, but that's not important right now."

Oh, the cabin pressure of it all!

I suppose finding her a seat in First Class was better than trying to stuff her in an overhead bin. Hopefully they had the good sense to fasten her seatbelt - as if turbulence isn't bad enough!

Even David Zucker would've hesitated before laughing at the sight of her bouncing around the place uncontrollably. Yep. Hope they remembered to do that, not to mention, put 2 blankets over her as well.

Would landing precautions be pretty much useless at that point? Call it a long shot, but I would guess she would've remained in the upright and locked position long after she got off of the plane anyway. ugh!

Considering their limited options, an upgrade was a nice gesture on the part of the airline, afterall, pilot's wings pale in comparison to the angel variety any day.

12 Comments:

Blogger JohnB said...

I'm sure the only reason she was moved is because the engineers thought she was dead weight...:)

6:56 PM, March 22, 2007  
Blogger mindy said...

omg..i just bought the "don't call me shirley" edition of airplane on dvd yesterday!!!! i love that movie. did she have the fish or chicken??
:)

7:42 PM, March 22, 2007  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Good one John. I wonder what would've happen with a sudden drop in cabin pressure?

Mindy: I love it, too....but I'm not sure what she ate...

"Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help!"

4:59 AM, March 23, 2007  
Blogger X. Dell said...

This might have been the only time this woman's flown first class. And she didn't even get to order a complimentary drink.

If I were the guy sitting next to her, I think I'd need a whole lot of free booze.

I don't know if you've ever had this experience, but sometimes, when on a flight, the person next to me falls asleep, and start putting his/her arms around me, or puts his or her head on my shoulders. If that sleeping guy would have done that in this instance, they might have had two stiffs by the time they landed.

8:06 AM, March 23, 2007  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Clever site! You have a well-honed sense of humor and a wry wit.

Funny stuff, I'll have to drop by here again.

8:39 AM, March 23, 2007  
Blogger On My Watch said...

X: yes, a stiff drink would be in order, for sure. I thought of the same thing as you, but I guess that whole 'death rattle' thing would've given it away.

Dirk - thanks, man! I appreciate that. You're welcome to drop anytime you like. thanks again.

9:03 AM, March 23, 2007  
Blogger David Amulet said...

What a story! I have to tell you--I've sat next to some people on airplanes that might as well have been dead ...

-- david

1:49 PM, March 23, 2007  
Blogger RJ said...

This was on the morning news here on the radio. They just didnt put a dead body in 1st class, they put her NEXT to somebody. The guy was probably like "Can I trade seats with somebody next to a crying baby?".

5:43 PM, March 23, 2007  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

That is how I'd want to go.

5:41 PM, March 24, 2007  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

luckily they don't do burials at air like they do at sea...imagine a plummeting carcass in the middle of your business

8:55 PM, March 26, 2007  
Blogger Seven said...

I flew from Boston to Dallas Sunday night with a seat mate that would not SHUT UP! I would have gladly taken a seat aside the dead lady!

11:32 AM, March 27, 2007  
Blogger On My Watch said...

David - sometimes dead is better.

Ray - but at least you'd get her share of peanuts.

Enemy - at least she wasn't alone.

Ray - look! up in the sky! It's a...what?! :)

Seven - yeah, I hate it when that happens. I'll bet that woman would've given them the death stare if she was on the plane with you. haha. :)

8:54 AM, March 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home