Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Flaming Streakers

Headline: Bright lights reported over Midwest skies

From southeastern Wisconsin to as far as Des Moines, Iowa and St. Louis, people reported seeing balls of fire, possibly meteors, streaking across the sky Sunday night.
Goodness gracious!

It’s not so much the great balls of fire that shake my nerves and rattle my brain, but mostly the fact that there is actually a county in Wisconsin called Winnebago.

Does this mean everyone in town either lives in or, at least, owns and operates one of those classic, bad-boy, motor homes?

As if the Wal-Mart parking lot didn’t have enough problems. Makes me wonder how many wrecks they have on the hour?

Come to think of it, I’ll bet close-up photos would reveal those flaming balls of light weren’t meteors, but really, propane tanks that had been launched without anyone’s knowledge after a minor fender bender.

Hank Hill would roll over in his cartoon grave if he knew what was going on.

I’ll even go so far as to say one of those recreational vehicles is still floating around in outer space after having been rear-ended at an intersection.

But there’s no sense in investigating this phenomenon. No matter how much you comb the desert, you still ain’t gonna find shit.

14 Comments:

Blogger Jay Noel said...

The sighting made the news here in St. Louis. I think it's a fireball launched from a catapult that originated north of the border. Canada is beginning its attack

7:04 AM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Oh my gosh, Damn those hosers!

7:08 AM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

These reports must have been made by crackpots. I mean they were looking outside instead of watching the Super Bowl so they must be nuts.

12:47 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger Helene said...

hey I love the Henny quote above! My Grandma is just the same! lmao. What can ya do!??!?!?!

2:19 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger Seven said...

No problem, its just Jerry Lee partying down with James Brown.....

7:25 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger X. Dell said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:20 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger X. Dell said...

(1) I count two allusions to the Mel Brooks film Spaceballs. Did I miss any others?

(2) I believe the vehicles are named after the county, but am not sure.

(3) The title of this post inflated my hopes. How cruel. I thought you were going to talk about something else.

(4) Let's see if the next winning super-lotto is won from someone in that area. After all, you know somebody had to have made that wish.

10:21 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Mark, maybe they were watching from their backyard patio.

Kate, I think that quote is hilarious. And there's not much you can do but love her, and make sure her lipstick is still good.

Seven, how great would that be?!

X: 1) no, there were only 2 - you got it. Love Mel Brooks.

2) that would make sense.

3) sorry. didn't mean to get your *hopes* up. :)

4) you're so right! or maybe they just wished it wouldn't crash down on their RV campsite.

4:06 AM, February 07, 2007  
Blogger mindy said...

are the parking spaces the same size there, or are they bigger to accomadate the winnebago?

6:48 AM, February 07, 2007  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Mindy - no doubt they're all compact spaces.

7:38 AM, February 07, 2007  
Blogger robkroese said...

The nice thing about that county is that if they get sick of the location they just pull up stakes and move the whole thing.

Found my way over via your hilarious comment at Mindy's. :)

8:39 AM, February 07, 2007  
Blogger RJ said...

HOLY COW!! The SPACEBALLS picture was an excellent touch! "I see your Schwartz is as BIG as mine!".

4:59 PM, February 07, 2007  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Thanks. I love that movie! What's wrong Col. Sandurz? Chicken??

6:08 PM, February 07, 2007  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

you're on a roll over there...may the Schwartz be witcha

2:26 PM, February 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home