Thursday, October 05, 2006

Let's Put the Fun back in Funeral

Headline: And the most requested funeral song is...
"Everyone has a favorite song that means something very special to them, often connected to a particular time and place. When the song is played this can be a very emotive reminder of that person," he said in a statement.
Their top 10 requested songs, mostly reflected ages of the deceased, were:

1 - "Goodbye My Lover" - James Blunt
2 - "Angels" - Robbie Williams
3 - "I've Had The Time Of My Life" - Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley.
4 - "Wind Beneath My Wings" - Bette Midler
5 - "Pie Jesu" - Requiem
6 - "Candle In The Wind" - Elton John
7 - "With Or Without You" - U2
8 - "Tears In Heaven" - Eric Clapton
9 - "Every Breath You Take - The Police
10 -"Unchained Melody" - Righteous Brothers

Morbidly enough, I've considered this very topic on several occasions. Whether in conversation with my siblings or friends or just wondering to myself what song would express my lifeforce the most at my own funeral.

Most people associate me with Van Halen, but let's face it, Running With the Devil might not be the most appropriate song in the world to pick for that scenario - at least, I'd hope not!

Other songs which could be considered bad choices maybe are Cuts Like a Knife or Stranglehold, especially if they died due to domestic violence. Let's say you died in a freak parachute accident, should your family play Free Fallin' at your wake? If your 3 best friends O.D.'d, should you crank out People Who Died? I'm not sure about the proper etiquette for this new trend.

However appropriate the following songs may seem, I would think it through before choosing them as your farewell songs: American Pie, In-a-Gadda-da-Vida, and Freebird. Those would present a very, very wrong situation unless there was plenty of embalming fluid handy. Way too long for comfort there! (pinches nose)

I haven't made up my mind yet what song would be perfect for me, but I do know this much, if someone selects anything by Michael Bolton you can bet I will rise up out of that casket and turn that crap off more quickly than you can say Living Dead Girl.

Hey, now there's a song!

7 Comments:

Blogger On My Watch said...

Burn, baby, burn! Oh No!! :)

6:33 AM, October 05, 2006  
Blogger Death Warmed Over said...

I want any Crazy Frog song played at my funeral.

9:07 PM, October 05, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Some appropriate ones...

"It Wasn't me" if the deceased was murdered.

"I''l be right here waiting for you" for those who believe in spirits.

"Beat it" for those who want it done and over with.

"Is your mama gonna miss you?" for those who hate the deceased.

12:45 AM, October 06, 2006  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I think I would like anything by AC/DC or Iron Maiden played at my funeral. I would be happy with that.

4:16 AM, October 06, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Death: okay, be sure to put it in your will.

SJ: funny! closed casket? "Don't Stand So Close to Me"

Mark: I can see it now, candlelit, big church...people sniffling here and there and then that big booming voice starts up with, "woe to you oh Earth and sea..."

your friends perk up and grin, but the older ones in attendance grab their rosaries and head for the holy water!! LOL. That would be great.

5:23 AM, October 06, 2006  
Blogger JohnB said...

I think AC/DC has a couple good ones as well ;)

7:50 AM, October 06, 2006  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I'm with Mark, just toss my casket into the water during the Nile craft sequence of "Rime of the Ancient Mariner."

What was that awful eighties song "C'est la Vie?" Just terrible dreck, but appropos for the topic

9:59 PM, October 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home