Thursday, April 06, 2006

Life Lesson

Headline: The 50-Percent Theory of Life
Half the time things are better than normal; the other half, they are worse....But there is a vast meadow of life in the middle, where the bad and the good flip-flop acrobatically. This is what convinces me to believe in the 50-percent theory.
I have a small example of this theory to which I subscribe.

Recently, while traveling to visit my parents who live about an hour away, I found myself driving on a country highway alongside scenery that inspired both relaxation and ease. Rows and rows of sugarcane fields mixed with swampland and cypress trees provided the perfect backdrop for my selection of YoYo Ma and laid-back ride.

Rounding a bend in the scenic byway, I suddenly encountered a rather disturbing group activity: vultures pecking away at a not-so-freshly deceased animal. Now, there were about six of these disgusting creatures hopping around in the oncoming traffic’s lane. Within seconds, my once introspective road trip turned into road kill as the group took off in unison at the approach of my vehicle.

YoYo Ma was replaced by the sounds of a lightning-quick SMACK, as one of them didn’t quite gain enough altitude as quickly as the others. Shock and horror filled my senses at the sight of this huge bird crashing against my windshield - transforming the passenger side into something that resembled a mosaic tiled picture of a large pineapple, with a few runaway lines that stretched toward the roof.

Although the vehicle didn’t stop, my heart certainly did and I’m sure its heart ceased to beat as well. I guess the age-old phrase “you are what you eat” really is true. One second he was eating road kill, the next he was road kill.

I continued to drive in total disbelief of what just happened and repeatedly questioned the gods - why? Why?! Everything was fine and then a random smash changed the entire mood of the day.

Once I reached my destination, I inspected more closely and noticed there was a black and white fluffy feather stuck to the wiper blade. I kept it, why, I am not exactly sure. Maybe as a reminder that things can change at any given moment. Maybe as an ingredient for a voodoo spell. Either way, I kept it.

Ultimately, I had to accept that’s what it's all about. You must continue to roll no matter what life throws at you - even when it is a vulture. This is a prime example of when to apply that 50% theory.

Now, I see that more clearly than ever – of course, having a brand new windshield helps.

7 Comments:

Blogger JohnB said...

This is why there will always be seagulls...

7:45 AM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

to remind you to take the good with the bad? or has one of those rats with wings flown into your busdrivers' view recently?

9:19 AM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger David Amulet said...

"Roll with it." One of the best pieces of advice ever.

Nice piece.

-- david

12:56 PM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Good story...and I think you kept it for the Voodoo Spell!

1:27 PM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

David - thank you!

Jeremy - I'll let you know how it all turns out. ;)

1:40 PM, April 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice story...I say you kept the feather as a mememto of yet another segment of your life it was such an ordeal you hate to let it go...but I'm sure you will part with it later. In fact I'm sithy seven percent sure you will.

7:58 PM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger On My Watch said...

lol. sithy-seven perthent sure? well then I can't argue with that! :)

3:42 AM, April 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home