Monday, November 28, 2005

Around the Watercooler

Headline: Professor Studies How Urban Legends Arise
"If we can find out how these rumors form and proliferate, maybe we can determine ways to counteract them, especially the false ones with
negative consequences," he said.
There's no need for extensive research on this subject. Mainly, the place this professor needs to go is the small town beauty shop. That's where it all begins. Whether the ladies are too old to hear stories correctly or the hair dryer over their heads confuses the story remains a mystery, but that's one of the places where they begin, at least for women.

For men it's usually disguised as a Staff Meeting. This meeting normally begins with phrases like through the grapevine or rumor mill has it. Nobody ever knows the facts behind anything said but if the person saying it has enough authority then it magically becomes truth.

As far as urban legends go, these usually have their conception at a slumber party or camp-out. Although many adults aren't actually camping out in the woods anymore, it's basically the same when they camp out at the bar and tell these tales. And as long as they don't set their drinks down without watching over them, they should make it back home with their kidneys intact and the only ice available will be in the freezer where it belongs.

Or at least, that is what my friends', sisters' brother-in-law brother told me and he's a cop so he ought to know.

9 Comments:

Blogger JohnB said...

I guess the professor must justify his existence...my only hope is that he achieves the self-actualization he is questing for on his long climb up Maslow's pyramid.

8:38 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

yeah - I thought I made it to the top but then again I get hung up on the Belonging section sometimes.

8:49 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger JohnB said...

I seem to bounce around like a pinball myself.

10:29 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

you're a pinball wizard. :)

11:06 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I've had "Watch" withdrawal the last couple of days. Don't forget about water-cooler talk and the wives/girlfriends telephone network, where each call adds Herculean exaggerations to each story.

11:10 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

there's a million ways to spread gossip and yes, my sister is a pro at exaggerating. one of my friends is a urban legend junkie - I call it bourbon legends.

11:18 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Bourban legends...spot on! :)

11:43 AM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger Whimsy Harbinger said...

My hats off to the NSF! This is certainly money well spent.

1:48 PM, November 28, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

no shit - I think I know him! Isn't he the one who...

:)

2:05 PM, November 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home