Thursday, December 15, 2005

Going Ape Over Nothing

Headline: Is Kong Racist?

Any movie that features white people sailing off to the Third World to capture a giant ape and carry it back to the West for exploitation is going to be seen as a metaphor for colonialism and racism.
No... it's going to be seen as a movie about a giant ape. What the hell is wrong with these people?

This movie was GREAT and I don't consider myself to be a racist, however, anyone who compares a giant ape to a black man just might be.

I suppose if Kong would've expressed an interest in Adrian Brody instead of Naomi Watts, it would already be an Oscar contender.

The bad guys are dark, hideous and undifferentiatedly evil.
Maybe it's because they're from a place called Skull Island! And bad guys are usually, uh, bad. I ask again - what the hell?!

Makes me want to climb to the top of the Empire State building and beat my chest and roar.

But that would hurt and it's too high, so I'll just write here instead.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy said...

Yes, it joins the pantheon of racist movies such as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. I'm with you, what is wrong with people?

6:41 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

they forgot how to just enjoy a frickin' movie.

It's King Kong for God's sake, not like The Passion of Christ or something controversial like that.

6:49 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I'm a sports fan, so I'm laughing at the NAACP going after McNabb, a black quarterback, for playing like a white quarterback. I got news for them...he plays like a quarterback, and a damn good one. Some people just need to pick a fight with things, I guess.

6:58 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

if the NAACP were so concerned with that kind of stuff they'd change their name - who says "colored" people anymore, right?!

7:04 PM, December 15, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home