Thursday, November 10, 2005

Here is My Handle, Here is My Spout

Headline: Green Tea Party
"Green is gold right now," says Brian Keating, president and founder of the Seattle-based tea think tank Sage Group International.

For green tea, the final push came from Starbucks. David Lockwood, the director of research at Mintel Reports, a Chicago research group, compares Starbucks choosing green tea for their menus to Oprah choosing a new author for her book club.

Now even the less-trendy Dunkin' Donuts is serving up chai drinks. One wonders what's next. Shark cartilage fraps topped with flax seed oil at the mall?

Firstly, what's with this new thing about green is the new gold, pink is the new black, brunette is the new blonde, etc. This is all so confusing. Does Crayola know about this?

Secondly, there's an actual tea think tank? Do you wonder if everyone drinks coffee on their think breaks? All I know is if you say it three times fast it almost sounds like a foreign language or some kind of sound effect, pistons maybe?

Thirdly, Dunkin' Donuts needs to remain what they are and be proud of it. A place to dunk your big-twisted-glazed-hunk-of-deep-fried-dough in a hot cup of strong coffee while chain smoking. Having chai tea at Dunkin Donuts is like wearing Dolce & Gabbana boots on a fly-fishing trip. Makes no sense to me.

I just hope they're wrong about the sharks.

14 Comments:

Blogger JohnB said...

This is nothing compared to the cereal I was made to eat as a kid. I swear, I think my mom was onto something when she was raking up those sticks and twigs in the backyard!

-Don't get me started about Starbucks.

8:11 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

"silly rabbit, sticks are for kids"

can't say much about Starbucks - I'm an addict.

9:23 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger JohnB said...

Have you tried that 'Green Tea' Frappa-yuk-o?

10:35 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

nope! I'm a caramel macchiato kinda girl. no crappachinos for me.

10:39 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I had a cereal plan once - orange tic-tac breakfast cereal.

I hear you on the Dunkin' Doughnuts thing. Who's the brainchild there who decided to take on Starbucks at coffee. It's kind of like Jebediah the Amish Guy wanting to take the market share from Best Buy. Idiots.

10:50 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

crunchy and fresh breath too. hmm.

10:55 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger JohnB said...

Taking on Starbucks a good idea? From my Seattle office building downtown there are at about 11 Starbucks within a block radius-INSANE!

11:19 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

consider yourself lucky - there are only about 5 around here and they're all closed because of Hurricane Katrina. Sucks.

11:25 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger JohnB said...

ALL are closed?! That surprises me-they are quite zealous up here (understandably-even if Rainer blew its top and mudflows obliterated the city they would still set up carts!). They also own all of "Seattle's Best" and "Torrefazione Italia"-I don't suppose you have those down there too?

11:43 AM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

No, starbucks isn't gigantic around here - competition from the local coffee company blows it away...but I hope they reopen soon...withdrawals.

12:15 PM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

I don't think we're far off from Starbucks buying land on the face-side of the moon and throwing its logo up there.

12:50 PM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

then it would have to be Moonbucks.

:-)

1:08 PM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger Jeremy said...

That gets the "Badat-ching" drumline. :)

1:28 PM, November 11, 2005  
Blogger On My Watch said...

woohoo! :)

2:08 PM, November 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home