Sunday, October 16, 2005

This was No Boating Accident!

I was around 10 yrs old when I first feared going into the water. And the first time I hummed classical horror music any time anyone went swimming. A lot of years later, I still love JAWS.

When I was little, it was because of the fear it instilled in me. When I was a teenager, it was because I figured out Chief Brody was Hot. As an adult, it is because I finally caught all the little jokes that I've been missing and the techniques used by Steven Spielberg to first distract and then scare you. Works everytime. He's a genius and I personally believe this movie was his best.
The characters and cast are all perfect. On many occasions I'll find myself quoting lines (or sometimes entire scenes) from this movie. A top favorite of mine is the scene with the Chief and the Mayor discussing whether or not the beaches should be closed down.

Martin, it's all psychological. You yell barracuda, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July.
If there is any movie I would watch a million times and never get bored, it's this one. As an example, one late night of channel surfing produced Jaws being aired on a Spanish channel - not only did I watch it, I also had my friends convinced I could speak Spanish fluently as I translated almost every word spoken. (all I really know how to say in Spanish is, "uno mas cerveza, por favor.")

I used to wonder if there were Jaws conventions for people like me, but then I figured if there were it would've only happened once, as all of the fans would've been eaten alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home